Compare Rates From Top Providers
Save Up To 46% on Car Insurance
Enter Zip Code:

Oklahoma Car Insurance

Written by Michele Wilmonen. Posted in Research Last Updated: 12/02/2017

Oklahoma is the state of tornadoes, its own musical and license suspensions for no Oklahoma car insurance.

State Regulator Information 800-522-0071 www.ok.gov/oid
Insurance Premium Avg. Annual Premium: $ 1,476 National Average: $1,318
Mandatory Car Insurance Coverage Bodily Injury Liability:$25k/50k
Property Damage Liability: $25k
Oklahoma Car Insurance

Welcome to Oklahoma! Now, where’s your proof of car insurance?

While researching the information for this article the words from the musical Oklahoma kept running through my head over and over. Sadly, I only know parts of the first sentence of the main theme song by memory, so it got a little annoying after a bit.

I am sure that the residents of Oklahoma have a love/hate relationship with that musical just like they have with their required Oklahoma car insurance. They hate the fact that it is there and are tired of hearing about it, but understand that it ultimately is a good thing.

Comparative Oklahoma Car Insurance

Around the nation, the different states have chosen how they determine who is at fault for an accident. Some states have determined that the driver carrying the majority of the fault for the accident happening is the one that is to pay for the damages.

Other states, such as Oklahoma, determine fault and financial responsibility down to a certain percentage. This is called comparative negligence.

With comparative negligence states, first the amount of fault is assigned to the drivers in the accident. For example, one driver could be determined to be 80% at-fault and the other driver is determined to be 20% at-fault. This split percentage of fault means that both drivers contributed at least partially for the accident happening in the first place.

When it comes times for the insurance companies to pay out for damages and other expenses, the insurance company whose driver was 80% at-fault will pay for 80% of the other driver’s damages. The other driver’s insurance will pay for 20% of the 80% at-fault driver’s damages.

Oklahoma Car Insurance Penalties

Failure to carry Oklahoma car insurance on your vehicle results in stiff penalties. Not as stiff as they used to be, but still pretty bad. Previously, if you were caught without Oklahoma car insurance, your vehicle was towed away immediately and you were walking home.

The state has recently revised the penalties and instead you could be facing:

• 30 days in jail

• A $250 fine

• Suspension of your driver’s license

• Suspension of your vehicle registration

The extent of your penalties, depends on how you were caught without insurance (pulled over vs. were in an accident) and also how the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety views your case.

Oklahoma Car Insurance Requirements

Oklahoma directly advises consumers to purchase limits that are much higher that what the state requirements are. They actually recommend 100/300/100 limits instead of the 25/50/25 that is required in order for you to drive legally.

The first 25 represents $25,000 worth of medical liability coverage to pay for the medical expenses of a single person in the other vehicle. The 50 is for $50,000 of medical liability coverage combined for all parties in the other vehicle.

The final 25 in the 25/50/25 is for $25,000 of property damage liability coverage. This pays for the damages that you do to the other person’s property through your Oklahoma car insurance policy.

Trackback from your site.

Michele Wilmonen

Michele’s first introduction to insurance was working for a major insurance company as a file clerk and a mailroom supervisor in a regional office. She learned insurance directly from underwriters and claims adjusters from questions and also watching them do their job. Since then, she’s earned a number of insurance certifications from the Insurance Institute of America and also a Bachelor’s degree from the University of Idaho. She blogs at Car Insurance Guidebook.

Leave a comment

Overall Rating
Price
Service
Claims

Save Up To 46% on Car Insurance
Enter Zip Code: