Compare Rates From Top Providers
Save Up To 46% on Car Insurance
Enter Zip Code:

Is a Refund Due on a Vehicle That Was Sold Nine Months Prior to the Insurance Finally Being Stopped?

Written by Michele Wilmonen. Posted in Ask An Insurance Question Last Updated: 07/12/2012

Yes, in this case an insurance refund is due. An insurance company cannot charge you for insurance premium on a vehicle that you do not own any longer. To receive the refund, you will have to provide the Bill of Sale from when the car was sold as verification that it was no longer owned by you.

In the case that you are helping out another individual, like an elderly relative, you may have to provide power of attorney papers to accomplish anything on their insurance policy. Otherwise, they will have to personally make the refund request themselves, but you can still help them with getting everything moving.


Trackback from your site.

Michele Wilmonen

Michele’s first introduction to insurance was working for a major insurance company as a file clerk and a mailroom supervisor in a regional office. She learned insurance directly from underwriters and claims adjusters from questions and also watching them do their job. Since then, she’s earned a number of insurance certifications from the Insurance Institute of America and also a Bachelor’s degree from the University of Idaho. She blogs at Car Insurance Guidebook.

Leave a comment

Overall Rating

Save Up To 46% on Car Insurance
Enter Zip Code: