Compare Rates From Top Providers
Save Up To 46% on Car Insurance
Enter Zip Code:

If I Have “Full Coverage”, do I Pay for the Damages to my Car if the Accident is my Fault?

Written by Michele Wilmonen. Posted in Ask An Insurance Question Last Updated: 04/16/2012

The person liable for the accident you were in and who caused the damages to your vehicle is the one that has to pay for the damages.

Because you are the person that caused the damages, it means that you or your insurance has to pay for the damages to your vehicle. In addition to any other damages that you may have caused to property that is not yours.

Now, the term “full coverage” technically does not exist. If you are saying that you have comprehensive and collision coverage on your vehicle, then your insurance company can help pay for the damages. That’s what the coverage is there for right?

You do not have to pay anything out of your pocket (if you have coverage) other than your deductible. Unless you decide to not have your insurance company pay for the damages, then you have every right to pay for them out of your own pocket.


Trackback from your site.

Michele Wilmonen

Michele's first introduction to insurance was working for a major insurance company as a file clerk and a mailroom supervisor in a regional office. She learned insurance directly from underwriters and claims adjusters from questions and also watching them do their job. Since then, she's earned a number of insurance certifications from the Insurance Institute of America and also a Bachelor’s degree from the University of Idaho. She blogs at Car Insurance Guidebook.

Leave a comment

Overall Rating

Save Up To 46% on Car Insurance
Enter Zip Code: