Compare Rates From Top Providers
Save Up To 46% on Car Insurance
Enter Zip Code:

If I Get Into An Accident With My 49cc Motor Scooter, Will My Uninsured Motorist Coverage Transfer To It From My Car?

Written by Michele Wilmonen. Posted in Ask An Insurance Question Last Updated: 03/13/2012

The determination of coverage is in how the vehicle is classified in this case.

My initial answer to this question was no, and I will tell you why. You can’t transfer insurance coverage from one vehicle to another.

As I thought about it more though, a 49cc motor scooter is not considered a motor vehicle that has to be insured or registered in most states. It is considered a moped or even a “push bike” in some places. Because the uninsured motorist coverage will cover your injuries if you are hit by an uninsured driver while riding your bike, I believe that the coverage will transfer in this case.

In all reality though, because of complicated state laws and insurance loopholes; you really need to consult your insurance agent on this.


Trackback from your site.

Michele Wilmonen

Michele’s first introduction to insurance was working for a major insurance company as a file clerk and a mailroom supervisor in a regional office. She learned insurance directly from underwriters and claims adjusters from questions and also watching them do their job. Since then, she’s earned a number of insurance certifications from the Insurance Institute of America and also a Bachelor’s degree from the University of Idaho. She blogs at Car Insurance Guidebook.

Leave a comment

Overall Rating

Save Up To 46% on Car Insurance
Enter Zip Code: