Compare Rates From Top Providers
Save Up To 46% on Car Insurance
Enter Zip Code:

How Much UM/UIM Coverage Should I Purchase for Each of my Vehicles in Connecticut?

Written by Michele Wilmonen. Posted in Ask An Insurance Question Last Updated: 12/07/2011

Connecticut UM/UIM coverage is not to protect your vehicles, it’s to protect you and your passengers.

Connecticut Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage (UIM/UM) pays only for injuries caused by an uninsured or underinsured driver to the passengers in your vehicle. UIM/UM coverage in Connecticut does not pay for any damages to your vehicle, that’s what your collision coverage is for.

So what type of vehicle you have should have no bearing on the amount of UIM/UM coverage you need. Instead you should be thinking about medical bills and how much they may cost if an uninsured or underinsured motorist hits you. As always we recommend that you sit down and talk to an agent as to your personally situation so that they may provide you with coverage counseling.

UIM/UM is not a required coverage in most states. It is instead considered an optional coverage and the residence of those states have the right to waive that coverage if they feel they don’t need it. In Connecticut, it is a mandatory coverage that their drivers must have. Here you have to carry the minimum amounts of $20,000 per person and $40,000 total for all injuries in the accident.

(Other than the posts we have concentrating on a specific state and their insurance laws, normally we don’t isolate a specific state when we answer an “Ask a Question”. However, because this particular coverage varies so greatly from one state to another we felt that it was best to specifically answer the question from the state that the question came from. If you have questions about this coverage for your own state, you may find a previous post for your specific state that can answer your question here on our site.)

Trackback from your site.

Michele Wilmonen

Michele’s first introduction to insurance was working for a major insurance company as a file clerk and a mailroom supervisor in a regional office. She learned insurance directly from underwriters and claims adjusters from questions and also watching them do their job. Since then, she’s earned a number of insurance certifications from the Insurance Institute of America and also a Bachelor’s degree from the University of Idaho. She blogs at Car Insurance Guidebook.

Leave a comment

Overall Rating

Save Up To 46% on Car Insurance
Enter Zip Code: