Compare Rates From Top Providers
Save Up To 46% on Car Insurance
Enter Zip Code:

How Do I Get Insurance for a Foreign Vehicle I am Bringing Over For Holiday?

Written by Michele Wilmonen. Posted in Ask An Insurance Question Last Updated: 09/06/2012

Foreign vehicles and their drivers have limited options for getting car insurance.

Question: I will be travelling to the United States for holiday and will be having my car shipped over from Europe to use while I am here for the two months. How do I get insurance in place for my vehicle?

Answer: To be able to drive in the United States, insurance is just one of the requirements you have to meet. You also have to have a valid driver’s license to be able to use your vehicle here. A valid driver’s license either has to be one issued by one of the states in the U.S., or is a foreign driver’s license with an accompanying International Driving Permit.

For insurance, there are two different ways to go about this. One, you can call one of the larger insurance companies that you know of in the United States (GEICO, Progressive, Allstate, State Farm, etc.). Two, you can get an insurance quote for your foriegn vehicle from a website like ours, by using the zip code of the place you will be staying at during your holiday.


Trackback from your site.

Michele Wilmonen

Michele's first introduction to insurance was working for a major insurance company as a file clerk and a mailroom supervisor in a regional office. She learned insurance directly from underwriters and claims adjusters from questions and also watching them do their job. Since then, she's earned a number of insurance certifications from the Insurance Institute of America and also a Bachelor’s degree from the University of Idaho. She blogs at Car Insurance Guidebook.

Leave a comment

Overall Rating

Save Up To 46% on Car Insurance
Enter Zip Code: